Audio » Podcasting
You can publish podcasts and make them available through the iTunes Store by following the steps below to create your podcast, submit it to Feedburner (this converts it to the format iTunes requires), and then submitting it to the iTunes store.
Create your podcast
- Create a category for your podcasts; you can name this anything you like. For these instructions we’re going to call ours “Podcasts”.
- Create a new post and assign it to the Podcasts category.
- Upload or embed an audio file into this post using any of the methods explained in the Audio support page.
- Publish the post.
- Click the View Post link to view the live post.
- Under or near the title of your post (depending on your theme), you should see a link to the category it belongs to, i.e., Podcasts. Click this link to be taken to the Podcasts category page.
- Make a note of the address now appearing in your address bar.
Please note that the sections below to “Submit to Feedburner” and “Submit to iTunes” only need to be performed once. After that, any post you save in your Podcasts category will be available to your subscribers.
Submit to Feedburner
- In a new window or tab, go to Feedburner: http://feedburner.com
- Feedburner is a Google product, so if you already have a Google account, just sign in; if you don’t have a Google account, you’ll need to create one.
- Once signed in, you’ll see a welcome message: “Welcome to Feedburner!”
- Below the welcome message is an invitation to “Burn a feed right this instant. Type your blog or feed address here:”
- Paste in the address you noted/saved in step 7 above, but add /feed/ to the end of it. The full feed you submit to Feedburner should be similar to this: http://mygroovydomain.com/category/podcasts/feed/
- Click the checkbox next to “I am a podcaster!”
- Click the Next button. If you see an error message at this point that your XML file is invalid, check to make sure that your blog is public (see Privacy Settings for more information). Podcasts on blogs marked private can not be submitted to iTunes.
- In the “Identify Feed Source” window, select or confirm the appropriate feed; if more than one option is shown, select the one with an address containing category/podcasts/.
- Review the Feed Title and Feed Address; you can change these, or keep them the way they are. Then click the Next button.
- At the “Congrats” page, copy the feed address shown — it starts with feeds.feedburner.com and ends with the title you confirmed in the step just above.
- Click the Next button.
- In the “Configure Your Podcast” page, check the box next to “Include iTunes podcasting elements”.
- Select a category and subcategory for inclusion in the iTunes store, and enter relevant information into the fields below for title, summary, and keywords.
- Click the Next button.
- Select options for statistics tracking, if desired, and click the Next button. Your feed is now formatted properly for submission to the iTunes store.
Submit to iTunes
- Follow the instructions provided by Apple to Test your Feed.
- After you have confirmed that you can listen to your podcast through your own iTunes application, follow these instructions to Submit your podcast.
- Note that podcasts submitted to the iTunes Store do not become immediately available for subscription by others; they are submitted to a queue for review by iTunes staff.
- After your podcast feed has been accepted, you can get a link to distribute through email or websites by follow these steps for Linking to Your Podcast.
Pro tip: You can publish multiple podcasts from your WordPress.com blog simply by creating a category for each channel and following the instructions for submitting to Feedburner / iTunes. It’s that simple.