Changing a Blog Address
Your WordPress.com blog address is what people use to access your blog. An example of a WordPress.com blog address is support.wordpress.com. This document explains how you can change the support part of the address to something else.
If you want to change the title of the blog (the text displayed in the title bar of a web browser and displayed in the header for most themes) instead, you can do so under General Settings.
If you do change your blog address, permalinks to your old address, including search engine results, will be broken unless you purchase a Site Redirect upgrade.
Instructions for Changing Your Blog Address
- Go to My Blogs in your dashboard:
Note that this will take you to a different screen than the My Blogs tab on the WordPress.com homepage. You cannot change your blog address from the My Blogs section of the homepage.
- On the My Blogs screen, move your mouse over the address you wish to change. You will see that a Change Blog Address option appears. Note that you will only see this option for blogs that you own.
- Click the Change Blog Address option for the blog that you wish to rename.
- A screen with some confirmation text and fields will appear. Read the information presented on this page very carefully. Most importantly, make sure this is the action you wish to take.
- Enter the new address for the blog in the first two import fields. Verify that this new address is what you want it to be.
- Next, you will be offered the opportunity to register a matching username (the name you use to log in) and have two options if you decide to do so:
- You can choose to change your current username. If you choose this option, you will not be able to revert back to the original username, and it can affect profile URLs for other services such as Gravatar or IntenseDebate. See Changing Your Username for more information.
- You can register a separate account. You will need a separate email address to do this. If you create an additional username, both your current account and the new account will be added as administrators to the blog.
- The final option presented on this screen allows you to discard your current address. This option will permanently disable the address and you will not be able to reuse it. Only select this option if you are sure you will not use the address again. If you want to redirect traffic to the new blog, you can keep the address and purchase the Site Redirect upgrade.
- Once you have completed the form, click Continue, and you will be prompted with a summary of the changes you requested. Review this page and click on Continue again to change your address.
Once you’ve completed all of the steps above, your blog will be rocking a brand new WordPress.com address.