Deleting a site permanently removes it and you’ll never be able to reuse its WordPress.com address (such as
If that’s not what you want to do, you can instead:
- Change your site’s address and keep your content
- Delete old posts and continue using the same address
- Empty your site of all its content for a fresh start and continue using the same address
- Transfer your site to someone else
- Make your site private so only people you invite can see it
Permanently deleting your site
If you’re sure you want to permanently delete your site, here’s how to do it:
Step 1 – In your site’s dashboard, go to Tools → Delete Site
Step 2 – Next choose a reason for your site deletion from any of the options you see on the screen. All options will allow you to delete your site.
Step 3 – On the resulting screen, answer any of the optional follow up questions or look for the “Delete Now” button
Step 4 – One last pop-up will appear, as this is a permanent action. If you are sure then add a check to the box confirming your deletion, and click the “Delete Now” button again.
Step 5 – The blog owner will receive an email with a confirmation link. If you are absolutely sure you want to delete your site, click on the link.
After clicking the link in the email, your site will be permanently deleted.
I didn’t receive the confirmation email.
If you don’t get the confirmation email within one or two hours, please check your spam folder. If it’s not there, repeat the steps from the beginning, as sometimes emails go astray.
I checked my spam folder and the confirmation email is not there.
Make sure your email address is correct at Users → Personal Settings, under Account Details.
I don’t have access to the email connected to my site profile.
Update your email address at Users → Personal Settings, under Account Details. Make sure to finalize your address change by clicking the confirmation link in the email you’ll receive at the new address.
I’m on the Delete Site page, but I see a message that the site can’t be deleted.
You will not be able to delete your site if you’ve purchased a custom domain for it. This is because you need to keep the WordPress.com site active in order to access the domain manager.
If you do not want to use your site any more, you can:
- Make it private so that other users won’t be able to visit the site. You’ll still be able to access the Dashboard to get to the domain manager.
- Transfer the domain to another WordPress.com site on your account by going to Store → My Upgrades, and clicking the “Transfer to Another Site” link. You’ll then be able to manage the domain through that site’s dashboard.
- Transfer the domain to another user
Once the custom domain upgrade is removed from your site, you can return to Tools → Delete Site and start again.
I want to delete my account.
User accounts cannot be deleted. See the Deleting Accounts page for more information.