Getting Help in the Forums
Below we’ve gathered a few answers to some common questions about using our support forums to help get you oriented.
How do I Start a Thread?
There are several ways to start new threads. The easiest is to navigate to the forums homepage where there’s a link to “Add new topic“. Clicking that link will take you to a form to fill out to start a new thread.
Note that you must have a WordPress.com account, and you must be logged in, before you can start a thread. If you click the “Add new topic” link and are not logged in you will be redirected to the login screen before you are taken to the new thread form.
Which forum do I need?
When you start a new thread you have an option for which forum you want to post it to. Your choices are:
- Support – To get help with problems/questions on your WordPress.com blog
- Widgets – For issues with adding or using widgets
- Themes – A place to discuss the WordPress.com themes (folks with a Premium Theme upgrade can get help from their theme designer direction in our Premium Themes forum)
- CSS Customization – For people who have the Custom Design Upgrade and are looking for CSS help
- Ideas – Have an idea for how to make WordPress.com even better? You can add it to the Ideas forum
- Translations – This is the forum for the folks working to translate WordPress.com
- Staff Answers – If you have a paid upgrade you can use this forum to get public answers from staff for your support questions
How do I know if I'm talking to staff?
Are there any forum rules I should be aware of?
Our forums are a place where members of the WordPress.com community can help each other with their questions. To keep the forums friendly and helpful we have drawn up a Forum Code of Conduct that we expect all forum participants to abide by.
How do I add tags to threads?
Tags help people find and contribute to your discussion. There are two ways to add a tag:
- When you first add a topic you have the option to add tags to the new thread form.
- For existing discussion threads you’ll find a Tags box in the right-hand column on every page. Just type in the tag you want to add, click the add button, and voila.
How do I get a Moderator/Staff reply for my question?
Some issues require staff member help. If you see or add a thread that you know needs staff intervention, you can add the modlook tag to make sure we see it.
How can I get private help?
If you have a paid upgrade, head over to our contact form and you’ll be able to put in a private support request that way. You can also ask for private help in the forums; just add the modlook tag so staff will see your request and we can email you directly.
Is there phone or live chat support?
We currently only offer support by email and forums except for users who have purchased the Business Bundle. Users with the Business Bundle Upgrade have access to live chat support on US business days, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm EST (UTC-5).
What do I do if I see spam in the forums?
Spam is a violation of our forums code of conduct. If you see it you can add a tag that says ‘spammer’ to the thread, and another that says ‘modlook’ to make sure staff see the spam so we can remove it.
Can I get help for my WordPress.org site here?
These forums are focused on helping WordPress.com users. Folks with a WordPress.org site can get help in the WordPress.org Support Forums.