We love having you here with us at WordPress.com, but we understand that there are situations where a self-hosted WordPress.org site may be a better choice for you.
The Guided Transfer is a one-time fee of $129.00 per blog transferred, and is available for purchase from our Store.
What does the Guided Transfer include?
- Installing the WordPress software at the recommended host of your choice.
- Transferring over your entire WordPress.com site.
- Installing and configuring Jetpack and a few other plugins to provide features that you have been using on WordPress.com.
- Configuring and testing permissions so that you’ll be able to have one-click installs and upgrades.
- Switching your domain(s) nameserver settings to point over to the new site.
- Answering questions and providing guidance for you on your new WordPress installation for a two week period.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens to my old WordPress.com blog?
You will continue to own the existing WordPress.com blog (and domain) after the transfer. It will remain here (hidden) unless you intentionally choose to delete it.
Does the price include hosting?
No, you will still need to pay your new host.
How long does the Guided Transfer take?
A Guided Transfer occurs over a 24 hour period. Once you purchase the upgrade, a Happiness Engineer will work with you to set up a day (during the work week) to perform the transfer. The entire process is transparent to your readers.
I have a high-ranking site in Google. What happens to my page rank if I use the Guided Transfer to move to a new host?
All of your blog traffic will be seamlessly redirected to your new site if you already had a custom domain here at WordPress.com. If you didn’t, the old .wordpress.com URL can be redirected with the Site Redirect upgrade.
I purchased a premium theme at WordPress.com. Will it be transferred?
Premium themes purchased at WordPress.com are only valid here at WordPress.com.
I have blog followers. Will they be transferred?
Yes, all your email and WordPress.com Reader followers will be transferred to your new site. RSS readers will seamlessly shift over as well if you already have a custom domain mapped to your WordPress.com blog or–if you don’t–you set up a Site Redirect.
I love my stats. Will they transfer over?
It’s too expensive. What if I don’t want to pay that and I want to transfer to a self-hosted WordPress.org blog?
We understand that this upgrade isn’t for everyone. For those who would prefer the DIY route, we have a full guide on making the move to WordPress.org.
The refund period for Guided Transfers ends 30 days after purchase or as soon as your site has been moved over–whichever comes first.