Help! Getting WordPress.com Support
- Where should I go for support?
- Contact WordPress.com Staff
- Timeline for Answers to Support Requests
- Live Chat Support
- Phone Support
WordPress.com offers a number of avenues for reaching helpful, individualized support, but sometimes it can be difficult to determine the best place to ask your question.
This document details the various types of support offered for WordPress.com and WordPress.com-related services, and how to take advantage of them. It will help you get straight to the right source, so that you can get the quickest, most accurate answer to your question!
Where should I go for support?
- If you have a paid upgrade, please use the “Contact Support” form, where you will receive a choice of having staff answer your question publicly or privately.
- If you do not have a paid upgrade, please post your question in our community forums.
- If you specifically need help with CSS (changing the fonts, colors, hiding or rearranging aspects of your theme), please ask for advice in the CSS Customization forum.
- For help with a premium theme, please post your question in the premium support forum for your theme.
- If you have a Business upgrade, you can access live chat support from your blog’s Dashboard Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm Eastern time, or email our staff.
- If you have any questions about your WordAds account, please contact the WordAds team.
- If your comments are being marked as spam, please contact our Akismet team.
- If you have a self-hosted WordPress.org site, please use the WordPress.org forums for support, or contact your web hosting provider. If you need help with the Jetpack plugin specifically, please contact Jetpack support.
For more detailed information, please read on.
Before you reach out to support, you might want to check out our many help resources to see if your question is already answered there.
Whenever you are in your blog’s administration screens and have a question, look for the Help option in the upper right corner of the page.
Click on Help and you’ll be able to get instant access to documentation.
In addition, our Support site has a lot of great documentation to answer your questions. We have videos, screenshots, and walkthroughs detailing many of the questions and problems users encounter while using WordPress.com. Search through the documentation and you’ll likely learn some extra tips as you go. For tips on how to troubleshoot you might want to check out How To Be a WordPress.com Detective.
The WordPress.com Forums are a great place to get support as well. Staff are active members in the forums, but there are a lot of volunteers ready an willing to help as well. Most of the forum volunteers are veteran WordPress.com users who started out just like you. They’ll surely have some tips and tricks to help with most questions.
Premium Theme owners, be sure to visit the dedicated Premium Themes forums where theme authors provide customization tips and exclusive support.
For CSS questions, there’s a designated CSS Customization forum. The forum is monitored by volunteers and WordPress.com staff who are especially well-versed in CSS, and this will typically be a more detailed and helpful source of CSS support than the normal support channels.
Be sure to make use of the forum’s search feature to locate previous discussions that could provide the solution to your problem.
Have more questions about the forums? Check out this support document.
Contact WordPress.com Staff
WordPress.com support staff are “Happiness Engineers,” because our goal is to engineer your happiness! If you host your blog or website here with WordPress.com, we are happy to help you with any questions or problems you might have.
Please contact our Happiness Engineers via the “Contact Support” form. If you have any paid upgrade in your WordPress.com account, you’ll be offered a choice of whether to ask your question publicly or privately.
If you choose public, your question will be posted in the Staff Answers forum, where it will be answered by a WordPress.com Happiness Engineer. These questions are publicly visible, but only you and WordPress.com staff can reply on the thread.
If you choose private, your question will be posted in a private thread that can only be viewed by you and WordPress.com staff. Nobody else will be able to view the exchange.
We value all of our users equally and very much want to help everyone. However, there are a lot of you! We are continually expanding our staff so that we can provide more comprehensive support.
Currently, however, private support is only available to those users who have at least one paid upgrade. However, if you do not have an upgrade, never fear! You can still receive help in the WordPress.com forums, as discussed above. WordPress.com staff are also active in the forums, helping all WordPress.com users regardless of upgrade.
Timeline for Answers to Support Requests
We answer all questions in the order in which they are received. We try very hard to answer all support requests within 24 hours, but sometimes we do get a bit behind. If you have not received an answer to your question, please don’t submit a duplicate request. We will get to you as soon as we possibly can, and submitting multiple requests slows things down.
In particular, the more specific details you can provide about exactly what you’re doing and seeing on your end, the better we’ll be able to understand and diagnose your problem. For example, please be sure to include the following:
- The URL to the blog you are having trouble with.
- The URL to any specific post, page, image, or other item you are having trouble with.
- A detailed description of what went wrong, what you have tried so far, what you were expecting to happen, and what you would like to happen.
- Your username and the associated email address if you are having trouble with a user account.
- A screenshot of the problem, if applicable.
Live Chat Support
If you have the Business upgrade, you have access to live chat support directly from your Dashboard, Monday through Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm Eastern time.
Occasionally, we do experiment with live chat support for other (non-Business) users. Currently, it is not possible to for you to initiate a live chat, however, and we do not have a guaranteed schedule for when it is available. If live chat is available, you will see a pop-up box to contact us in your blog’s Dashboard.
We do not provide phone support. All support is done through online communication. Our Store team does sometimes call users with expiring domains, but these are courtesy reminders, not support calls.