Mapping a Domain Registered with WordPress.com to a Site Hosted on GoDaddy
If you have a domain registered with WordPress.com and want to point it to a site hosted on GoDaddy, this guide will show you how to do it.
Quick note: if you’ve already added your WordPress.com domain to your site hosted on GoDaddy, you can skip to step 4, click Add Domain, get the A record IP address that GoDaddy provides, then skip to step 6 to edit your DNS settings on WordPress.com
1) Sign in to your GoDaddy account
2) Click on Hosting & SSL → Manage Your Hosting
3) Click on the Settings button for your site
4) On the Settings window, click on the Add Domain button
5) On the Add Domain window, you need to do several things:
a) Select the Enter a domain or subdomain option.
b) Enter the domain you registered on WordPress.com in the text field.
c) Make a note of the A record IP address that it provides. You will need this when configuring your DNS settings on WordPress.com.
d) Check the box that says Make this the primary domain for your account.
e) When you are done, click the Add Domain button.
6) While signed in to your WordPress.com account, go to the My Domains page.
7) Ensure that the domain is your primary domain. If not, select it and click the Update Primary Domain button.
8) Click on the Edit button for your domain.
9) On the Edit DNS tab, click on the edit icon for the A record item.
10) Confirm that you do want to edit the A record by clicking OK.
11) Add the new A record:
a) Type in your WordPress.com domain.
b) Type in the IP address that GoDaddy provided.
c) Click the Add button.
d) Click the Save Changes button.
Side note: Your name servers should use the default WordPress.com name servers. If you’ve changed them to something custom, you should change them back to WordPress.com on the Name Servers tab.
12) If you specified on GoDaddy that you want to use “www” for your domain, you’ll also need to add a CNAME record that points to your domain:
a) On your Edit DNS tab, under the Add New DNS Record section, select CNAME from the drop down.
b) Type www in the first field.
c) Type your domain in the second field.
d) Click the Add button.
e) Click the Save Changes button.
It may take a little bit of time for your changes to be seen by everybody, but after a little while your WordPress.com domain should be mapped to your site hosted on GoDaddy.
If you run into any problems please don’t hesitate to contact us.