Whether you are on your way to greatness or loved by millions, WordPress.com can serve as a digital hub where you tell stories for your fans, showcase your songs, and list your gigs.
How to Setup a Music Website or Blog
- Start at WordPress.com/Music to set up a new account.
Showcase Your Music
- Pick a theme. You can use any theme at WordPress.com for a music site, and we’ve tagged a few of the themes that we think work really well for sites for musicians.
- Customize your theme by adding a header image.
- Tell your story. Your fans love your stories and your passion for making music, so tell them about it! Start with an about page, then put it through the meat grinder. After that, keep writing.
- Make sure to add a few photos.
- Add some music! You can embed any audio file that has already been uploaded to the web with an audio shortcode. If you’d like the ability to upload audio files into your WordPress.com media library, you can buy an Extra Storage upgrade.
- Add some videos! Videos are a great way to share music. You can embed a number of video services for free, or you can buy WordPress.com’s VideoPress upgrade to upload and store videos in your WordPress.com media library.
- If you are a BandPage user, grab the BandPage widget.
- List your upcoming gigs using the Upcoming Events widget.
Promote to Your Fans
- Setup the Follow widget to let any user subscribe to your posts by email.
- Publish new posts to social media websites automatically by connecting them using Publicize.
- Add social media sharing buttons to your posts and pages.
- Podcast your music or stories and submit them to iTunes.
- Custom Domain—a domain is your personal address on the internet. So pick out an awesome one right from the Store → Domains page in your site dashboard.
- Extra Storage—this upgrade gives you the ability to upload audio files you can embed in your site.
- VideoPress—this upgrade gives you the ability to upload video files you can embed in your site.
- Custom Design—if you want to personalize your site and make it unique, you can find some really cool custom fonts, color tools, and a CSS editor to make changes to your site’s appearance.
Questions & Answers
- Which upgrades do I really need? Identity is important and your music is paramount, so if you were to pick the two most important upgrades for a music website, it would probably be Custom Design and Extra Storage so you can upload music. Any of the upgrades will help you though, and if you can’t decide or if you need them all—you can get the Pro Bundle.
- How can I pick the best theme for my band? Start by looking through the themes tagged for music, but keep in mind that you can set up the widgets and promotion features for any WordPress.com theme.
- Can I see more showcase examples? Absolutely! Check out our user showcase.
Need more help? Ask about setting up a music site in the forums.