To add a PayPal “buy now” or donation button to your post, page, or sidebar, follow the steps below.
Keep in mind that if you want to add a PayPal button to a widgetized area like a sidebar or footer widget, you’ll need to copy the code into a Text Widget. Just click the Text tab in your post editor and copy out the button code, then paste it into your Text Widget.
Here’s how to create the button:
- Go to http://www.paypal.com/login and log in to your PayPal account. Please note: The exact options and wording for the following steps on the PayPal website may vary from country to country.
- Click on Settings Icon in the main menu.
- On the My Profile page, click on Selling tools.
- Under Selling Online, look for PayPal buttons and click on Get started.
- Create your button
- Choose a button type from the dropdown, either Donations or Buy Now
- Fill in the other fields – they will vary depending on button type
- DO NOT check the box next to any of the customization options, like drop-down menus or text fields. If you select any of those checkboxes, you’ll generate a button that you won’t be able to use on WordPress.com.
- If you like, you can customize the button to use your own image.
- If you have a Personal PayPal account, select Use my primary email address under Merchant Account IDs. (Only Premium and Business accounts have a merchant account ID.)
- Click on Create Button.
- You will see now see two sets of code:
- Website tab – provides HTML code
- Email tab – provides a plain link
Believe it or not, you do not want the the code for websites! WordPress.com does not let users post web forms so the website code would be stripped. You must use the link provided in the Email tab. This is the link that you’ll be attaching to your button image. Keep this window open, as you’ll need to copy that URL soon.
- In a separate window or tab, return to your WordPress.com site and open a post or page for editing.
- Switch to the Text editor.
- Add an image for people to click on. Below are some official PayPal buttons available to you. Copy any of the codes below and paste them into the Text editor, or you can use your own image.
- Switch back to the Visual editor and you should see something similar to the screenshot below, depending on which button was used.
- Next, you need to add a link on your image. Copy the link provided in the Paypal Email area from Step 6 on this page. Click the image in your visual editor, then click the link icon and paste the PayPal code into the Link URL field.
<img src="https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_buynow_LG.gif" alt="Buy Now Button" />
<img src="https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_buynowCC_LG.gif" alt="Buy Now Button with Credit Cards" />
<img src="https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_buynow_SM.gif" alt="Small Buy Now Button" />
<img src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_LG.gif" alt="Donate Button" />
<img src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donateCC_LG.gif" alt="Donate Button with Credit Cards" />
<img alt="Small Donate Button" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_donate_SM.gif" />
<img alt="Make a Donation Button" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but21.gif" />
<img alt="PayPal Donate Button" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but04.gif" />
<img alt="Square Donate Button" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but11.gif" />