On WordPress.com, you can use shortcodes to embed a recipe with consistent formatting, basic metadata, and an option to print.
Embedding a Recipe
To add a recipe to your site, start with the [
recipe] shortcode. Everything between the opening [
recipe] and closing [/
recipe] tags will be set apart as the recipe on your page.
You can include several optional attributes to add extra information to your recipe. This also helps search engines index your recipe properly, since the code uses special “microdata” intended for recipes.
- Title: title of your recipe
- Servings: number of servings the recipe makes
- Time: total time the recipe takes
- Difficulty: how hard the recipe is to create
- Print: a link to print the recipe is displayed by default if you have added one or more of the attributes for servings, time, or difficulty. Or you can hide the print button by adding print=”false”
[recipe title="Summer Pasta with Basil, Tomatoes and Cheese" servings="4-6" time="2hr 30mins" difficulty="easy"]
Put your recipe here. Tip: use ordered and unordered lists, headings, images, and links to improve the look of your recipe.
Recipe Shortcode in Action
Summer Pasta with Basil, Tomatoes and Cheese
- 2 pounds vine ripened tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cream sherry
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
- 2 cups fontina cheese, shredded
- In a medium bowl, toss together tomatoes, garlic, basil, mint, salt and black pepper, hot pepper flakes, olive oil, and cream sherry. Let stand at room temperature for up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta In a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, but firm to the bite.
- Drain the pasta, and transfer to a large serving bowl. Drain 1/4 cup of the liquid from the tomato mixture, and toss with the pasta to coat. Add cheese, and toss until it begins to melt. Add the tomato mixture, and toss until mixed.