Download links are great, but embedding and publishing an actual document into a post or page may be much more valuable to you and your readers. To use this functionality on WordPress.com, you can upload your documents to Scribd, a publishing service that allows you to quickly and easily share writings on the web, and embed them directly into your WordPress.com blog.
To get started, first create a Scribd account (it’s free) at http://www.scribd.com/. You can then continue with the following steps:
- Once you have created and activated your account, login and click on the Upload button in your navigation.
- Select the file or files you would like to upload.
- When the upload is complete a screen will appear where you can change options for the document. Click on the linked title of the document, which is shown below:
- When the document loads, click the Embed Doc button to the left of the document.
- Click “WordPress” under Embed this document. Copy the embed code and then paste it into the editor for any post or page.
And here is your result:
Note: If you are experience any problems when uploading or managing your documents on Scribd, please contact Scribd Support.
Supported file types
Scribd supports most common document formats; if you’re not sure, try uploading it, and see if it works.
- Microsoft Office: doc, docx, ppt, pptx, pps, xls, xlsx
- PDF: pdf, ps
- Open Office: odt, odp, sxw, sxi, etc.
- Text: txt, rtf
Note: WordPress.com has no control over which file types Scribd chooses to support.