WordPress.com has its own URL shortening feature, wp.me, so that you can quickly and easily get shortlinks to your blog posts/pages and share them with the world.
Shortlink from Post/Page Editor
- Go to Posts/Pages -> Add New or open an existing post/page in editing mode.
- Directly under the title field, next to the post/page Permalink, you will see the Get Shortlink button.
- Click Get Shortlink and a dialog box will appear with the post/page’s shortlink. Copy it and share it with the world.
Shortlink from Admin Bar
You can also get the shortlink of any WordPress.com post/page from the Admin Bar.
- Go to whatever post/page you want to get the shortlink for.
- Click on the blog name in the left hand corner of the Admin Bar and look for the shortlink box near the bottom.
- Copy the shortlink and share it with the world.
Why use wp.me?
Sure, the functionality is the same as other URL shortening services, but WP.me is different in a few ways:
- Every blog and post on WordPress.com has a WP.me URL now.
- These are all exposed in the <head> using rel=shortlink.
- It doesn’t work for any URL in the world, just WordPress.com-hosted ones.
- The links are permanent, they will work as long as WordPress.com is around.
- WP.me is spam-free, because we are constantly monitoring and removing spam from WordPress.com.