Themes » Custom Backgrounds
- The Custom Background Administration Screen
- Previewing a Custom Background
- Uploading a Background Image from your Computer
- Selecting a background image from the Media Library
- Background Image Display Options
- Removing a Background Image
- Setting a Background Color
- Removing a Background Color
- Saving Changes
- Important things to note
- Where to find cool background patterns and textures
What a statement a custom background image or color can make! The majority of our themes at WordPress.com allow you to customize the background of your blog by either uploading an image or selecting a color.
The Custom Background Administration Screen
Go to Appearance > Background in your blog’s dashboard. If you don’t see this option, it means that your current theme does not support the custom background feature.
You’ll be taken to the Custom Background administration page in the dashboard:
Previewing a Custom Background
The preview box shows the current background image or selected background color. If the box is blank, it means that you have not set a background image or color.
Uploading a Background Image from your Computer
If you would like to use a background image from your computer, click on the Browse button to locate the image on your computer. After you have selected the image, click on upload.
Selecting a background image from the Media Library
If the image you want to use as your background image exists in your media library on WordPress.com, click the Choose from image library link below the background upload form.
Your image library will overlay on the screen. When you find the image you wish to use, click the Show link on the far right corner.
Then, click on Set as background:
Background Image Display Options
After you have either uploaded a background image from your computer or selected one from the media library, the background image display options become visible. Changing these settings is entirely optional.
Tip: The preview box will update whenever you select a display option to give you an idea of how that option affects the background image.
Position: This option allows you to position the background image on the Left (default), in the Center or on the Right of the page.
Repeat: This option determines if the background image is repeated. The choices are:
- No repeat: The background image will be shown only once on the page.
- Tile (default): The background image will be repeated both horizontally and vertically throughout the entire page.
- Tile Horizontally: The background image will repeat only horizontally.
- Tile Vertically: The background image will repeat only vertically.
Attachment: This determines if you want the background image to scroll with the content or to stay “fixed” in place when the user scrolls down the page. The default attachment setting is scroll.
Removing a Background Image
If you no longer want to use an image after you have uploaded it, click this button to remove it. If you uploaded an image from your computer, be careful when using this button, because once you remove a background image, you can’t restore it unless you re-upload it.
Setting a Background Color
Prefer to use a solid background color instead of an image? Not a problem! You can find the background color section below the background image settings.
If you know the exact hexadecimal value of the color you’d like to use, you can enter it directly into the color field.
If you’d prefer to pick a color from a color wheel, click on the Select a Color link beside the box. The color wheel will pop up, and you can choose your desired color. When you have found the color you want, click the color wheel and the hexadecimal value for that color will appear inside the color field.
Removing a Background Color
To remove a background color, click the Clear link next to the color field.
Always save any changes you make to the background image or color to make sure they are applied to your blog.
Important things to note
- If you have uploaded a background image AND set a background color, the image will appear on top of the color. The background color will show through any transparent areas of the background image.
- The background color or image will override any custom CSS you might have created that relates to the background of the entire site.
- Some themes come with default background images as part of their design. In many cases, these theme-supplied background images are removed whenever you upload your own background image or set a background color. This allows your customizations to take front and center!
Where to find cool background patterns and textures
Below are links to sites that offer free background patterns and textures that you can download and use on your blog.