Add Email with an Existing Google Apps Account
This article explains how to configure your site to work with an existing Google Apps account. If you don’t already have Google Apps, you can get it here, or you can find directions for other email providers on our main Add Email page.
- Set up your account with Google Apps.
- When you reach the point that Google prompts you to verify your domain, click Confirm that you own the domain*.
- Click Continue in the pop-up box.
- Click the dropdown menu to Select your domain registrar.
- Select Other from the bottom of the list.
- Copy the code that begins with google-site-verification.
- Keep the Google dashboard open, and also open your WordPress.com site dashboard in another browser window or tab.
- Go to My Domains and click on Edit for the relevant domain.
- Select Edit DNS.
- Choose TXT from the dropdown menu, leave the next box blank, and in the last box paste in the code you copied in step 6 above. It should look like this example (but with your own code after the equal sign):
- Click Add to add the record, then click the Save Changes button.
- Wait a few minutes, then return to the Google dashboard.
- Click the Verify button at the bottom of the screen.
- At the Congratulations page, click Continue.
- In your WordPress.com dashboard, return to Store → My Domains. Click the Edit Domain button and go to the Edit DNS section. (You will keep the TXT record you saved earlier.)
- For each of following standard Google mail records, choose MX from the dropdown menu, leave the first box blank, enter the long record in the second box, change the priority number to match, and click Add. (See the following example for the first record.) :
MX ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM 1
MX mail handled ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM with priority 5
MX mail handled ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM with priority 5
MX mail handled ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM with priority 10
MX mail handled ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM with priority 10
- Enter one last TXT record. Choose TXT from the dropdown menu, leave the first box blank, and paste in the following into the second box, and click Add:
v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Your email will begin working in a few hours.
If you are having trouble with your email with Gmail or Google Apps, please check our Gmail Issues page here.