Change a Blog Address
Note: Some of the instructions from this guide are referring to the WP Admin dashboard. You can get to this dashboard by adding
/wp-adminto the end of your site’s url (e.g.: example.wordpress.com/wp-admin)
Your WordPress.com blog address is what people use to access your blog. An example of a WordPress.com blog address is example.wordpress.com. This document explains how you can change the example part of the address to something else.
If you want to change the title of the blog, which is the text displayed in the title bar of a web browser and in the header of most themes, you can do so under My Site → Customizer → Site Identity.
If you want to get rid of the
wordpress.compart of your blog address, then you need to upgrade to a Custom Domain by visiting the Domains page.
If you follow this guide and change your blog address, link to your old address, including search engine results, will be broken unless you add a Site Redirect upgrade.
Instructions for Changing Your Blog Address
- Go to My Site → Domains and click on your
.wordpress.comaddress. There, click on Edit Site Address, and you’ll be taken to your WP Admin dashboard.
- On the My Blogs page, move your mouse over the address you would like to change. You will see a Change Blog Address option appears (you will only see this option for blogs that you own).
- Click the Change Blog Address link.
- A screen with additional details and warnings will appear. Read the information carefully and make sure this is the action you wish to take.
- Enter the new address you wish to use. Verify that this new address is spelled correctly.
- Next, you will be offered the opportunity to register a matching username (the name you use to log in) and have two options if you decide to do so:
- You can change your current username. If you choose this option, you will not be able to revert back to the original username, and it can affect profile URLs for other services such as Gravatar. See Changing Your Username for more information.
- You can create a new username and account. You will need a separate email address to choose this option. If you create a new account, both your current account and the new account will be added as administrators to the blog.
- The final option on this screen allows you to discard your current address. This option will permanently disable the address and you will not be able to reuse it. Only select this option if you are sure you will not use the address again. If you want to redirect traffic to the new blog, you can keep the address and purchase the Site Redirect upgrade. Note: if you do not select this option, you will see your original address under My Sites.
- Once you have completed the form, click Continue, and you will be prompted with a summary of the changes you requested. Review this page and click on Continue again to change your blog address.
Once you’ve completed all of the steps above, your blog will be using a brand new WordPress.com address.
Changing Your Blog Address To One You Already Own
If you have already registered an address that you would like to use as the new address for an existing blog simply follow the steps below to change your blog address: