Retrieving a Paypal Transaction ID
- If You Paid With a PayPal Account
- If You Paid With a Credit Card, Debit Card, or Another Method
- Contact PayPal directly
If you’ve purchased an upgrade for your WordPress.com blog, our payment processor, PayPal has generated a unique transaction ID to identify your transaction. It’s a 17-digit number. We may request the PayPal transaction ID to look up your purchase, or to verify your account ownership. Keep in mind that since PayPal is our sole payment processor behind-the-scenes, this transaction ID will be generated even if you paid via credit card or another method.
If You Paid With a PayPal Account
If you paid with your PayPal account, it’s easy to find the transaction number:
1) To begin, login to your Paypal account.
2) Select History.
3) Click Find a transaction, and search for email@example.com in Email. A list of WordPress.com transactions will appear.
4) Select “Details” next to any of the transactions that appear.
5) The “Unique Transaction ID” in the receipt is your PayPal transaction’s ID. Copy and paste this number where requested, and you’re good to go!
Via Email Receipt
PayPal receipts for WordPress.com will be sent to your email address from firstname.lastname@example.org. You can use your email client to search messages from this address for email@example.com or WordPress.com to locate receipts from WordPress.com.
Once you’ve located a receipt, copy and paste the “Transaction ID” where requested, and you’re good to go!
If You Paid With a Credit Card, Debit Card, or Another Method
Locate the email receipt you received after paying for your upgrade. The 17-digit transaction ID is at the bottom of the receipt.
Contact PayPal directly
Sometimes you need to retrieve your PayPal transaction ID, but don’t have the email receipt. All WordPress.com payments are processed by PayPal, even if you paid by debit or credit card, so you can contact PayPal directly to get the transaction ID.
You can reach PayPal at 1-888-221-1161 from inside the U.S. and 1-402-935-2050 if calling from outside the U.S.. You can also visit PayPal’s website for additional ways to contact PayPal.
When contacting PayPal to obtain a transaction ID, please have the following details of the transaction ready:
- Name on card
- Amount and date of transaction
- Card number