Retrieving a PayPal Transaction ID
If you’ve purchased an upgrade for your WordPress.com blog, our payment processor, PayPal, has generated a unique transaction ID to identify your transaction. It’s a 17-character string made up of both letters and numbers. We may request the PayPal Transaction ID to look up your purchase, or to verify your account ownership.
All payments on WordPress.com are processed through PayPal behind-the-scenes and this transaction ID will be generated even if you paid via credit card or another method.
If You Paid With a Credit or Debit Card
Locate the email receipt you received after paying for your upgrade. The 17-digit transaction ID is at the bottom of the receipt.
If you have access to your WordPress.com account, you can view all of your WordPress.com receipts by navigating to the Me section of WordPress.com, choosing the Manage Purchases option from the sidebar, and then clicking the Billing History tab.
From the list of receipts, you can click View Receipt and the PayPal Transaction ID can be found under PayPal Ref:
If You Paid With a PayPal Account
If you paid with your PayPal account, it’s easy to find the transaction number:
1) To begin, login to your PayPal account.
2) Select Activity.
3) Using the dropdown menus, select the time period in which the purchase was made. You can also specify the type of transaction you’re looking for. In this case, select Payments Sent.
4) Clicking on any transaction titled WordPress.com will show you the details of the purchase.
5) The “Transaction ID” in the receipt is your 17-character PayPal Transaction ID. Copy and paste this number where requested, and you’re good to go!
Via Email Receipt
PayPal receipts for WordPress.com will be sent to your email address from email@example.com. You can use your email client to search messages from this address for firstname.lastname@example.org or WordPress.com to locate receipts from WordPress.com.
Once you’ve located a receipt, copy and paste the “Transaction ID” where requested, and you’re good to go!
Contact PayPal directly
Sometimes you need to retrieve your PayPal Transaction ID, but don’t have the email receipt. All WordPress.com payments are processed by PayPal, even if you paid by debit or credit card, so you can contact PayPal directly to get the Transaction ID.
You can reach PayPal at the following numbers:
- 1-888-221-1161 from inside the U.S.
- 1-402-935-2050 if calling from outside the U.S.
You can also visit PayPal’s website for additional ways to contact PayPal.
When contacting PayPal to obtain a Transaction ID, please have the following details of the transaction ready:
- Name on card
- Amount and date of transaction
- Card number