Posts »Post Formats
- What do post formats look like?
- What types of post formats are there?
- What if I want to mix text, images, and other media types?
- How do I use Post formats?
If you have a theme that supports post formats, you can spice up your blog posts by posting different types “formats” to your blog, in a way that makes them stand out, and appear different from the rest.
What do post formats look like?
The type of post formats you can choose from depend on the theme that you have activated, but in all cases, post formats change the design (look and feel) of your blog posts. The degree to which the design changes is dependent upon the theme you have selected. Some themes feature subtle use of post formats, like the different post icons in Writr theme, as shown here:
Whereas other themes may significantly alter the design of the post, like the different background colors in Twenty Thirteen:
What types of post formats are there?
Here’s a list of all the post formats that are available across different themes:
- Standard – Your normal, average, everyday blog post. This is the default styling for your theme.
- Gallery – Usually will show a thumbnail from the blog post, as well as an excerpt of what the gallery is about.
- Aside – These are brief snippets of text that aren’t quite whole blog posts. Useful for quick thoughts and anecdotes
- Image — These posts highlight your images
- Status — Short updates about what you’re doing right now.
- Quote — These posts highlight your blockquoted text in a bolder way than standard posts do
- Video — Just like Image posts these posts highlight your videos
- Audio — Just like Image and Video these posts highlight your Audio attachments
- Chat – These posts highlight snippets of memorable conversations you have with friends, both online and offline.
It is worth noting that the type of post formats you can choose from depend on the theme that you have activated, so you may not see all these formats used in your particular theme. To see what post formats your theme supports, go to Posts -> Add New in the dashboard and look for the Format module on the right:
To see what the different formats look like with your theme, you can refer to the theme demo site, found by going to , or you can add some content to the editor, select a post format, and click the Preview button to see the post format style applied to your site.
What if I want to mix text, images, and other media types?
Post Formats change only the appearance of the post, or how the formatting looks, but you are free to mix text and media as much as you like. So don’t feel that you can only have a gallery if you choose the “Gallery” post format; You can add descriptive text, and even other media like video or audio embeds. The post format you select will make the formatting of the post look unique, based on your theme, but won’t touch your content.
How do I use Post formats?
When creating a post, you can select a post format from the global dashboard by clicking on the New Post button at the top of the screen.
When creating a new post in this way, options for popular post formats, such as text, photo, video, quote, and link posts, will appear:
You can also apply post formats from within the admin dashboard for your site by selecting it from the Post Format box on the right. You can also add or change a post format by editing that post to modify it.