Widgets »Category Cloud Widget
The Category Cloud Widget shows your most used categories in a “cloud” format. While still text-focused, a category cloud is an alternative to a list of categories; it shows at a glance your most-used categories.
Your most used categories appear in bigger size (which you can control under “maximum font percentage” when configuring the widget). You also have the option to change the smallest font size, eliminate categories from showing, and combining child categories under parent categories.
You can customize the widget in several ways:
- Title: Enter a descriptive title, like “Categories” or “Most popular categories”
- Maximum number of categories to show: The default number is 30, but you can change this to include only your top 5 or your top 50
- Exclude:You can specify certain categories to not show – to use this feature you must enter Category IDs, separated by commas.
The instructions from this step are referring to the WP Admin dashboard. You can get to this dashboard by adding /wp-admin to the end of your site’s url (e.g.: example.wordpress.com/wp-admin)
You can find the category ID by going to your WP Admin Categories page > Edit > file URL:
On that page, the Category ID is visible in the URL:
- Minimum Font Percentage: This will determine the size of your least-used category – 100 is the default, but play around to find the size you like!
- Maximum Font Percentage: This will determine the size of your most-used category
- Count sub-categories in parent: If you have set up sub-categories, the posts marked with these categories will increase the size of the parent category (If you have a category named Jazz, and under that have children categories for Bebop and Big Band, if you checked this box, any posts marked as “Bebop” would make “Jazz” bigger in your category cloud and not register “Bebop” at all.)